Monday, January 30, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken

I love my crock pot. Especially on busy days. It makes me feel like I had a chef make my meal while I am out working. Today I made a crock pot chicken. I was able to purchase a few whole fryer chickens about a month ago for 99 cents a pound. The crock pot makes them quick and easy.

Crock Pot Mexican Chicken

1 whole thawed chicken
1 lime quartered
1 med red onion cut into 8 pieces

Spice Rub


1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 cayenne

Optional
one can green enchilada
one small jar green salsa
on small jar of non chunky salsa

Stuff the chicken with as much onion and lime as possible. Rub down the chicken with the spice rub. Place the extra onion and lime around the chicken. Cover the chicken with one of the optional choices if desired. Cook the chicken on low for 8-10 hours.

The juices at the bottom of the pot can be made into a gravy too. Transfer the strained juices to a small sauce pot and bring to a boil. Mix together aprox 1 Tbs corn starch to 3-4 Tbs of hot water. With a whisk, pour cornstarch mixture into the juices and they will thicken into a non lumpy gravy.

The left overs can be shredded and put into chicken salad, soup, salad, burritos, etc...
Tonight I served the chicken with brown rice, corn and cranberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment